Monday 28 November 2011

TASK 1 - Revised

Write a LIST OF POSSIBLE CLIENT GROUPS that use graphic design in the development, production, distribution, promotion and/or communication of their products or services. Identify one client group that reflects your current ambitions within the graphic design area (music industry, retail, publishing, education etc.) and focus on identifying:-

  • Product packaging & Promotion
  • Music Industry
  • Publishing
  • Editorial
  • Advertising
  • Brandin & Identity
  • Retail
  • Food
  • Event Promotion
  • Health & Beauty Product Design
PRODUCT PACKAGING & PROMOTION;
After completing module OUGD201 I wanted to re visit this task as I really enjoyed exploring, researching and designing the packaging for products and promoting it. This is a very large sector of graphic design, there are many opportunities within this sector and that also include the branding and identify of the product. Product packaging is something I have always taken an interest in even before I thought about embarking on a Graphic Design Degree; in particular I have always noticed products in  health and beauty stores such as Boots. Due to this being a very crowded sector, I always look to see which products stand out for me; generally I will chose a product because of the design rather than price, or content of the product. One brand that has always jumped out at me is the Original Source Shower gel collection - a simple but bold design that allows the contrast between the bright colours of the product to attract the attention along with the label. I am also very drawn to typography and layout - this is a very important skill to learn for packaging and promotion; knowing what to include and how to depict the information and how you want it to be read. After I leave Leeds, my aim is to be able to live in London as I feel it will have the largest range of design opportunities and connections. 

WHAT ARE THE SKILLS / INTERESTS THAT YOU HAVE AND HOW DO THEY RELATE TO THE NEEDS OF YOUR CLIENT GROUPS

  • Type - Interest in in Type and I have chosen the type module for the sprint term - I think this will help me have a better insight to designing labels and packaging. 
  • Colour - I am very interesting in Colour theory, last year we had an introduction into the basics of colour theory - this is something I want to read up more on and learn to apply it more effectively. 
  • Eye - I have always taken an interest in how a product is designed (labels), packaged and promoted - I can see what will stand out on a shelf as it is a method I have used when buying product e.g. hair care, moisturiser, make up. I have an idea of what products are out there at the moment and how they catch the eye of the target audience.
  • Group work - learnt to brainstorm well and bounce off other people ideas / concepts and develop them further - I work well both alone and in a group. 

WHAT SKILLS ARE NEEDED AND WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED TO DEVELOP
  • Networking - I can easily talk to people but I need to develop an appropriate book of contacts / clients within this sector of design
  • Communicating - I need to learn precisely what and how to communicate to my target audience and what they respond to e.g. language, design, colour, place, promotion. 
  • The Industry - I need to learn more about this sector of the industry and how a graphic design business works, design and gets their design seen. There is a lot I need to learn about the business side of the industry and how to be a successful designer in both the design and the enterprise world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment